Wednesday, January 16, 2008

How much is too much?

Why is it that spouses just don't understand the concept of a "stash"?
For those of you out there who are crafters, the idea of a stash is perfectly normal and acceptable. But for someone who doesn't have the crafting gene, a stash is wasteful and unnecessary.
Lately, I've been wondering if one woman really needs 31 storage tubs of yarn.
Yes, I counted. It's hard to avoid them as I have them stacked throughout my corner of the basement. And that doesn't count the three storage cabinets eight feet tall and four feet wide that are full of fabric, cross stitch materials and other assorted "necessary" items.
This is the time of year that my husband starts getting ready for the annual trek to the CPA to prepare our tax returns. This time every year I get the cold shoulder for a few days because of all the money I've spent on unnecessary things -- like yarn, pattern books and the like. Some years, it gets awfully quiet in our house. This year is one of those years.
But the dreaded has happened. My husband says he's taking over the monitoring of all our accounts and has laid down the law to cancel several credit cards. I've done this, with a little trepidation, but in the full realization that it was necessary.
I've decided I have a disease and I need his help to cure me of it. Now, whenever I have the urge to order something from Smiley's Yarns or Discount Yarn Sale just because it's only $1 a skein, I'll remember that I'll need to justify the expense within the next week instead of several months down the road. This will be good for me, I think. And even better for our bank account.
It has been pointed out to me that I have more yarn than what I could possibly use before I die. When you add in the applique kits, cross stitch kits, polymer clay kits and quilting kits, my kids will have enough to pass on to their grandchildren.
In the end, it sure would be nice if my spouse understood the concept of a stash. In the absence of understanding, I guess I'll need to settle for tolerance.
Until next time ...
Susie

No comments: