Friday, January 11, 2008

You can get a lot done in the hospital

It's amazing how much you can get done while sitting in a hospital for about a week or so. I've knit a pair of slippers, knit a hat (several times as a matter of fact and I've finally decided to just frog it and wait until I get home to try again), and crocheted the back and one side of a jacket. Believe it or not, I'm getting kind of tired of it. I'd rather be doing this at home!
Evan, our oldest son, has been in Nationwide Children's Hospital since Monday, Jan. 7. He originally came in for a routine revision to his feeding-tube. He's had it since he was an infant and as he's grown it has migrated up his stomach until it was under his rib cage. So his doctor thought it was time to move it down.
We came in on Monday for radiology to put in a PICC line for IV access and surgery was scheduled for Tuesday. Surgery didn't happen until late Tuesday afternoon. What we thought would take an hour to two and a half. Turns out they lost a needle (how appropriate for me!) and did several x-rays to make sure it wasn't in him -- which it wasn't.
Then he stopped peeing. After four or five hours of trying to get a catheter in, it was decided to insert a tube straight through his abdomen. That's working well, but he still hasn't peed, so it's back to surgery this afternoon to surgically implant a catheter through his penis and find out why he hasn't been able to pee and why they couldn't get the catheter in the regular way.
Evan just can't catch a break.
He keeps saying he wants to "go, go, go, home," but no one has been able to do that so far. He angry with me and keeps asking for Daddy, because Mommy won't make it all stop.
I'm feeling extremely helpless and useless.
Usually my needle work makes me feel better, now I'm just feeling like a failure because I can't make it all go away for Evan.
Please say an extra prayer for him. He's been so patient and he's such a trooper, but he's hit his limit ... an so have I -- almost.

No comments: